Sunday, March 18, 2012

The Bookcase is Done

I finished the bookcase this past weekend.  I have a lot of sanding to do and then I'll put a couple of coats of paint on it?

The sides were the first things on and it resembled a box at first.  I was more comfortable with the jig on the second build.  Once you get the hand of it it's a breeze!


The top was clamped with wood glue.  I wanted it to get a good bond without a lot of finish nails.

After everything was squared I worked on getting the shelves in.  Each of the shelves are built with 1 x 12 and a 1x2s.  I followed Ana White's directions to the letter except for the top shelf. For that I used a 1 x 16 instead of 1 x 12, 1 x 2, and 1 x 3


I have quite a bit a sanding and painting to do before I can unveil it.




You can see inside where the pocket holes ares.  This was my second build with the Kreg Jig.  I love it.  I had two things that needed to fit in this bookcase - my sewing machine and my serger.  I just split the rest of area for the top shelves.  The next one I build I will use the Kreg Jig Shelf pin so the shelves are adjustable.
  
My next project on the to do list is the paint the fireplace.  I may have to wait until my man goes out of town.  He might not be on board with that one.  I'll guess we'll see.



 Happy Monday

4 comments:

  1. Ooooh! I can't wait to see the bookshelf "finished" - it looks great! And I'm so anxious to see the fireplace painted. Wish we had one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking about a dark brown or black.

      Delete
    2. On the fireplace that is. Definitely black on the bookcase to match my craft table.

      Delete